Specialized Solar Systems (SSS) Involvement in The iShack Project – The Hardware
Specialized Solar Systems (SSS) is primarily involved in supplying of all solar technologies to create a sustainable environment for The iShack Project managed by The Sustainability Institute Innovation, a division of the Sustainability Institute.
For the iShack Project, a baseline quick setup remotely managed DC micro-grid solar system was the requirement.
The DC Micro-grid SS20-75DC Managed System with selectable functionality, variable threshold settings, user interactivity and build in remote management features was used as the baseline system and has the following attributes as a DC Micro-grid:
- The unit is not connected to conventional grid electricity supply and the DC micro-grid functions completely autonomously.
- The DC energy produced by DC micro-grid’s manufactured by Specialized Solar Systems provides independent DC electricity generation via PV cells at the installed location.
- The produced energy is either used by DC efficient appliances and/or stored for future use in the system’s battery or batteries.
- The DC energy efficient appliances that are used with Specialized Solar Systems DC micro-grid’s are either manufactured, outsourced or converted to DC power by Specialized Solar Systems to improve system efficiencies and test durability.
- The ability to isolate a DC micro-grid from a larger network provides highly reliable and efficient DC electric energy.
The baseline DC Micro-grid SS20-75DC Managed System DC Micro-grid unit used in the iShack Project includes the following components:
- SS20 Smart DB Box
- Radio output
- Cell phone charging
- Lighting outputs,
- 20A fusing
- Interactive LCD screen
- Tamper proof design
- 1 X 12VDC Outlet plug box
- 105A/H battery
- Remote management technology
- The SS20-75DC baseline system also features upgradeable options to accommodate future energy requirements.
The baseline DC appliances supplied by SSS with the SS20DC75 Managed DC Micro-grid for the iShack Project are:
- 2 X 3W Interior lights (LED new generation)
- E27 Fittings and lampshades
- 3 X Light ON/OFF switches
- 1 X External 54 LED spotlight
- 1 X 75W Prime crystalline solar panel
- 1 X Galvanized solar panel mounting frame (roof & floor mount)
- 1 X 105A/H Deep cycle battery
- 1 X Stainless steel battery box (tamper proof)
- 20m X 0.75mm Cabtyre cable
- 4m X 2.5mm Solar module cable
- 1 X LED 39cm Colour TV (Optional)