3kVA 3-4kWh per day complete off-grid solar system(Small Residential)
Our popular entry-level off-grid residential solar system designed by Specialized Solar Systems. Using superior quality solar components, this off-grid solar system will supply our customers with a daily average of 4kWhs of solar-generated energy electricity. It includes a battery storage capacity that supports 3kW hours of daily electrical energy usage directly from the battery before reaching a 27% Depth of discharge (DOD), therefore maximizing the batteries lifespan.
Summary of equipment used for the 3kVA 3-4kWh per day complete off-grid solar system:
- 765Watt Solar Modules [10Year Guarantee, 25Year 80% Yield]
- 6360Amp hour 2V Cells with take-off leads, battery floats, log book, distilled water x 20L drum, interconnecting cables and hydrometer [1Year Guarantee, 10-15Year Lifespan]
- 35Amp MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracker) [5Year Manufacturer Guarantee]
- 1 x Victron BMV700 Precision Battery Monitor [5Year Manufacturer Guarantee]
- 1 x 3Kw 24V 70 Victron Multiplus Inverter/Charger [5Year Manufacturer Guarantee]
- System Programming and Maintenance/Owner Training
- Additional Costs: Installation Costs and Consumables [1Year Workmanship Guarantee]
- Optional Extra: Victron Blue Power Color Control GX [5Year Manufacturer Guarantee]
Off-grid power systems supply electricity to properties that are not connected to the public electricity network. These renewable energy systems are essentially independent power stations capable of powering a wide range of applications with dependable and reliable electricity that is no different to that supplied by the national electricity grid. Whether it be a small or large new or existing home, a station, business or an entire community that depends on large diesel generators, off-grid stand-alone power systems are commonly the reliable, clean, hassle-free, cost-competitive answer! It is Specialized Solar Systems recommendation that energy saving principles are put into practice and taken into consideration before such a system is purchased i.e. low wattage lighting, gas stove/geyser etc.
For an overview on Specialized Solar Systems residential off-grid solar systems please view this link.
3kVA 3-4kWh per day off-grid solar system overview:
Solar Module Array
- To have an average input of 4kWh/day from your solar modules in George, South Africa. You will need a solar module array of 750Watt. These solar modules have a 10year manufacturer’s product guarantee and a terrestrial 25year 80% yield.
NB. Solar yield is determined by location, orientation, shading, and panel surface condition, system usage and weather condition at a 34° Tilt Angle Facing North with full day exposure to the sun i.e. no shading
Battery Storage Capacity
530Amp 10-15year Lifespan, 2V Millennium Deep Cycle Batteries with interconnecting cables. These batteries will have the capacity in storage at 3kWh’s usage per day to cycle your system 24% maintaining system efficiency and battery lifespan, please note that actual cycle ratios may vary from installation to installation depending on system use.
Please note during daylight hour’s system runs off PV as Primary, Battery as secondary.
BMV-700 Precision Battery Monitoring
The essential function of a battery monitor is to calculate ampere-hours consumed and the state of charge of a battery. Ampere-hours consumed is calculated by integrating the current flowing in or out of the battery. In case of a constant current, this integration is equivalent to current multiplied by time. A discharge current of 10A for 2 hours, for example, amounts to 20Ah consumed. All our battery monitors are based on a powerful microprocessor, programmed with the algorithms needed for precision monitoring.
Standard information and alarms
- Battery voltage (V).
- Battery charge/discharge current (A).
- Ampere-hours consumed (Ah).
- State of charge (%).
- Time to go at the current rate of discharge.
- Visual and audible alarm: over- and under voltage, and/or battery discharged.
- Programmable alarm or generator start relay.
MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking)
Charge current up to 35A and PV voltage up to 150 V
The Blue Solar charge controller will charge a lower nominal-voltage battery with a higher nominal voltage PV array.
The controller will automatically adjust to 12 V, 24 V or 48 V nominal battery voltages(Software tool needed to select 36 V).
Ultra-fast Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT)
Especially in case of a clouded sky, when light intensity is changing continuously, an ultra-fast MPPT controller will improve energy harvest by up to 30% compared to PWM charge controllers and by up to 10% compared to slower MPPT controllers.
Advanced Maximum Power Point Detection in case of partial shading conditions
If partial shading occurs, two or more maximum power points may be present on the power voltage curve.
Conventional MPPT’s tend to lock to a local MPP, which may not be the optimum MPP.
The innovative Blue Solar algorithm will always maximize energy harvest by locking to the optimum MPP.
Outstanding conversion efficiency
No cooling fan. Maximum efficiency exceeds 98%.
Full output current up to 40°C (104°F).
Flexible charge algorithm
Eight pre-programmed algorithms, selectable with a rotary switch (see manual for details)
Extensive electronic protection
Over-temperature protection and power derating when temperatures are high.
PV short circuit and PV reverse polarity protection.
PV reverse current protection.
Internal temperature sensor
Compensates absorption and float charge voltages for temperature. Compensates absorption and float charge voltages for temperature.
Pure Sine Wave Bi-Directional Inverter/Charger
1 x 3000/24/70 Victron Multiplus Inverter/Chargers
- Continuous output power at 25’C (VA) per unit
- Continuous output power at 25’C (VA) per unit
- Continuous output power at 25’C (W) per unit
- Continuous output power at 40’C (W) per unit
- Peak Power (W) per unit
Multi-functional, with intelligent power management
The Multiplus is a powerful true sine wave inverter, a sophisticated battery charger that features adaptive charge technology, and a high-speed AC transfer switch in a single compact enclosure. Next, to these primary functions, the Multiplus has several advanced features, as outlined below.
Two AC Outputs
The main output has no-break functionality. The Multiplus takes over the supply to the connected loads in the event of a grid failure or when shore/generator power is disconnected. This happens so fast (less than 20 milliseconds) that computers and other electronic equipment will continue to operate without disruption. The second output is live only when AC is available on one of the inputs of the Multiplus. Loads that should not discharge the battery, like a water heater, for example, can be connected to this output (second output available on models with 50A transfer switch only).
Virtually unlimited power thanks to parallel operation
Up to 6 Multi’s can operate in parallel to achieve higher power output. Six 24/5000/120 units, for example, will provide 25 kW / 30 kVA output power with 720 Amps charging capacity.
Three phase capability
In addition to parallel connection, three units of the same model can be configured for three-phase output. But that’s not all: up to 6 sets of three units can be parallel connected for a huge 75 kW / 90 kVA inverter and more than 2000 Amps charging capacity.
Power Control – Dealing with a limited generator, shore side or grid power
The Multi Plus is a very powerful battery charger. It will, therefore, draw a lot of current from the generator or shore side supply (nearly 10A per 5kVA Multi at 230VAC). With the Multi Control Panel, a maximum generator or shore current can be set. The Multi Plus will then take account of other AC loads and use whatever is extra for charging, thus preventing the generator or shore supply from being overloaded.
Power Assist – Boosting the capacity of shore or generator power
This feature takes the principle of Power Control to a further dimension. It allows the Multi Plus to supplement the capacity of the alternative source. Where peak power is so often required only for a limited period, the Multi Plus will make sure that insufficient shore or generator power is immediately compensated for by power from the battery. When the load reduces, the spare power is used to recharge the battery.
Four stage adaptive charger and dual bank battery charging
The main output provides a powerful charge to the battery system by means of advanced ‘adaptive charge’ software. The software fine-tunes the three-stage automatic process to suit the condition of the battery and adds a fourth stage for long periods of float charging. The adaptive charge process is described in more detail on the Phoenix Charger datasheet and on our website, under Technical Information. In addition to this, the Multi Plus will charge a second battery using an independent trickle charge output intended for the main engine or generator starter battery (trickle charge output available on 12V and 24V models only).
Victron Blue Power Color Control GX
The Color Control provides intuitive control and monitoring for all products connected to it. The list of Victron products that can be connected is endless: Inverters, Multi’s, Quattro’s, all our latest MPPTs, BMV-600, BMV-700, Lynx Ion and even more.
VRM Online Portal
Besides monitoring and controlling products on the Color Control GX, the information is also forwarded to our free remote monitoring website: the VRM Online Portal. To get an impression of the VRM Online Portal, visit https://vrm.victronenergy.com/, and try our demo. See also the kWh dashboard screenshot further down in this datasheet.
The Color Control has endless possibilities. To implement all our ideas and wishes will take years. There are therefore many features that are not yet available. Functions marked with ‘Future function’ will become available later on, as a firmware update. Firmware updates are free of charge, as with all Victron products. Updating the product is easy: the Color Control GX will update itself automatically, as long as it is connected to the internet. Manual updates can be done with a USB stick and micro SD cards.
- All Pictures shown are for illustration purpose only. Actual product may vary due to product type and enhancements.
- Generally, off-grid solar system sizing or specifications are based on your daily wattage usage and peak Wh requirement. Daily watt-hour usage can normally be calculated from your utility bill over a time-period but may require more accurate usage pattern monitoring with energy metering data loggers.
- Customers should please contact us for a quote following your off-grid solar system selection or if you require expert help with choosing the correct off-grid solar system to satisfy your immediate and future home or business solar energy requirements. When making an inquiry, please include the location where you plan to install your off-grid solar energy system.
- All prices quoted excluding VAT. A 50% deposit is payable on acceptance of quote. Delivery of products should take place 4 to 6 weeks from 50% deposit payment. All equipment remains the property of Specialized Solar Systems until fully paid. Equipment installed and installations carry a one year guarantee.