6 Solar Sentry designed for Botswana Police Service leave our factory for delivery in Botswana.
These Solar Sentry Trailer units are designed and manufactured in South Africa by Specialized Solar Systems for SSS-Grit-Tech in Boitswana.
The unit is a robust power-house on wheels used for combating crime and also road safety. The design of the Solar Sentry is especially suited to traffic check-points at night. The unit is a self-sufficient solar energy supply for 4 x 100 watt 24-volt DC floodlights that illuminate the road surface for law enforcement officers to have a safer working environment during field operations. The high powered lighting can be extended to a hight of 3 meters.
With its unique design the Solar Sentry is easily deployed and can be towed behind fast moving vehicles at up to 80 kilometres per hour.
The 15 inch tires make the Solar Sentry capable of being towed in most terrains. Within minutes, law enforcement officers can light up their environment and safely fulfil their duties. Additional AC power outlets also allow charging of AC electrical equipment.
During the daytime, the Solar Sentry, equipped with expandable solar panels, can supply up to 6kWh of power to the battery bank, which is safely hidden away within the Solar Sentry's strong body. With a battery back-up power bank of up to 24kWh the Solar Sentry can provide 14 hours of high-powered lighting during the night and has an additional 14 hours of autonomy without being charged by either solar or AC power (totalling to 28 hours of lighting).
The Solar Sentry can be connected to a 220V AC outlet, allowing the batteries to be charged without extending the PV array. The Solar Sentry includes a blue tarpaulin (cover) with a 25mm high-density sponge to protect the solar panels.
These units each have the following specifications:
- 4 X 100W Super Bright DC powered LED lights
- 1 X 3M extension/retractible mask(boom)
- 1 X Blue LED flashing light
- 10 X 200A deep cycle batteries
- 1 X 50 A MPPT
- 1 X 3KVA Inverter
- 4 X PV Panels (1.2 kW)
Your Piece of the Sun Energy, Gender and Poverty in Urban South Africa
Specialized Solar Systems technologies feature in this short film and are used in the iShack project (10:40 - 14:10).
“Your Piece of the Sun”, a captivating film (25 minutes long) produced by Lloyd Ross and Joelle Chesselet for Sustainable Energy Africa, explores the challenges of energy, gender and poverty in urban South Africa. Through illuminating case studies and interviews with people on the ground, new approaches and innovative solutions to energy service delivery for low-income households are illustrated.
This film is intended to raise discussion and awareness and inspire innovative work in improving energy service delivery and access for low income households and in turn improve socio-economic development.
Geelhoutboom 101 kWp Grid-Tied solar system
Specialized Solar Systems installation team busy with the beginning stages of a large 101 kWp Grid-Tied solar system that will supplement the energy usage for the new upgraded blue berry pack house for the van Greunen Boerdery at their Highfields Blue Berry Pack House just a few kilometres outside George, The Garden Route South Africa
The 100kVA Grid-tied will make use of:
- 332 x 305watt solar PV modules (101260WP)
- 4 x 27.0 ECO Fronius Grid-tied inverters
This is the first phase of the project and is expected to be completed by 2 December 2016. Thereafter and with careful monitoring, the system will be expanded for more solar yielding capacity.
The Grid-Tied solar system is designed, supplied and implemented by Specialized Solar Systems in collaboration with our solar partner, SSK (Sentraal Suid Ko-operasie).
This system connects the solar panel installation with the main electricity grid (ESKOM) and is known as a grid-tied solar power system. If legislation allows in the near future, excess energy could be fed back into the grid with a special meter.
18 kWp Loggernberg Grid-Tied Solar Installation
Specialized Solar Systems recently completed 18 kWp grid-tied solar system installation for a client staying in Glentana in the Garden Route, South Africa.
The grid-tied solar installation used 72 x 250 PV solar panels , a 20 kW Fronius Symo inverter and took 2 weeks to complete.
- Zeerust Off-Grid 20 kVA 100kWhrs per day
- Redflow ZBM (Zinc Bromide Module)
- Botswana Off-grid solar systems commissioned
- Installation of demonstration solar unit at the UNISA
- Die Burger: Sonkrag by winkelsentrum in George ingespan
- October special on our 255 Watt Solar Modules
- Thembalethu Square Goes Solar
- The Solar Traffic Control Road Trailer
- SSK Branch managers visit Specialized Solar Systems
- VSD (Variable speed drives)
- Commercial sustainable solar solutions
- Tembalethu Square Shopping Mall George leads the way by going Green
- Residential solar system design and installation
- Utility-based solar energy management
- Grid-tied energy solution now at the SSK garage and CO-OP in Krakeel
- Grid-interactive Hybrid 3KV 11-12kWhrs per day solar system
- Sub-centralized solar energy power station complete
- (2016) Residential solar - A viable energy solution
- Botswana - 165 KWh - 30 KWp, Off-grid solar energy installation completed
- Jabula sub-centralized solar energy power station Stage 1